Friday, February 2, 2018

14 Days of Love: Day 2 | Documenting my life!

Today, I'm talking about something I'm super passionate about and I've shared about this love of mine on my blog before here.

I love documenting my life

I have felt passionate about this ever since I can remember. At first, I thought it was just an obsession with pretty paper and pictures. My mom used to scrapbook for a company called Creating Keepsakes and she would stay up super late in the 'scrapbook room' which was next to my room to meet deadlines. I remember being in awe of her talent to create these beautiful scrapbook pages each morning after she had been up late. As I mention in my other post on documenting life, my Nana has over 100 family albums of beautiful pages of memories. Just this last Christmas break I took some time to go over to her house and we went through some of these albums together. A lot of what was documented brought me to tears and we shared some really special moments looking at our family history. It is so special to me and so dear to me that I just want to shout about it from the rooftops. I've had a couple of experiences over the last few weeks that have led me to feeling like it's important that I continue to share my love of writing things down. 

First, listen to THIS episode of the Goal Digger Podcast by Jenna Kutcher. It's actually a business podcast and I don't think of myself as a businesswoman at all - let's get that straight. But there is something about her podcast that keeps me coming back even though half of it doesn't really apply to me. Jenna's energy and enthusiasm about what she does is inspiring and it makes me want to serve other people through my blog. In this episode called "How to Leave a Legacy", she talks all about what kind of stories and life lessons and experiences we are leaving behind us and it just hit home to me. What kind of legacy are you leaving for your friends and family after you are gone? What would people remember about you if you were somehow gone tomorrow? What kind of person would people say you were? Do those questions not just strike a cord in your heart? They do for me. 

Another reason I've felt strongly to bring up this topic again was also from the Book of Mormon. Good old Nephi does it again and makes me feel like I need to be more diligent at record keeping lol. Verses 29-34 in 2 Nephi talks about how the Lord commanded Nephi to keep a second set of records about the spiritual dealings of the people in addition to the record he had been keeping recording the history of the people. I thought that this was interesting because it showed me how important it is that we document both our testimonies and our lives in general. The really big life changing decisions and the day to day things that will always bring a smile to our faces. The challenges that we have gone through and the lessons that we've learned. The trials of our faith and how we've been able to overcome them. It's all important. So write it down. 

I want to challenge anyone that reads this today to take a photo, jot down that funny thing your child said today, write out your feelings about a trial you are going through, download an app that gives you journal prompts, buy a new journal. Just do something to preserve your history because it is important. 
Photo via Pinterest

If you need help, or ideas, please let me know! I would be overjoyed to help you with Chatbooks, with scrapbooking, with setting up a blog, helping you find the perfect journal, recommending an app, etc. I want to help you document your life and tell your story! 

What kind of legacy are you leaving behind?

To read about the other things I love, click HERE!

xoxo, Chelan

P.S. Would anyone be interested in hearing more about specific ways that I document my life? I was contemplating doing a series of posts and possibly guest posts on different methods and how those work for different people at different stages of their lives. I would love any ideas or feedback on that! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments :

Post a Comment