Sunday, September 15, 2019

My Recent Faith Journey

I shared this post a week ago on Instagram but I wanted to give it a spot on my blog, too, because it's an important post for me. And from the comments and messages I received on IG in response to sharing this piece of my heart, it sounds like I'm not the only one who has felt this way. We are all doing the best we can and we can all try a little harder to do a little better <3.

A couple of weeks ago I listened to an episode of the podcast called Cultivate A Good Life by Becky Higgins and Becky Proudfit about their faith journeys. They shared an analogy that has really impacted my life and I wanted to share!


Our spirituality is like a treadmill on an incline. If we’re not actively making steps forward and upward, then we’ll be unintentionally moving backward. Complacency doesn’t allow us to simply hit pause, but instead, it causes us to take steps back.

I’ve been in a state of complacency longer than I care to admit. And I felt like something needed to change but I didn’t care to do anything about it. I wanted to want to do better. But I didn’t actually have the desire to do the things that I knew would help me progress like I wanted to if that makes sense... So I prayed for help and I asked Heavenly Father to first help me have a desire to take the steps in the right direction and that once I had that desire that I would act on it. And it worked! A fire was lit in my heart and I was suddenly motivated to simply try. I made a plan to do scripture study for only 5 minutes first thing in the morning because that seemed doable. And I did it. Then the next week, I adjusted my goal to include other books of scripture, specifically the Book of Mormon, and time for personal prayer. And I did that, too! I don’t know if I have ever in my life craved spiritual experiences so much as I have in the last two weeks but today during church I was moved to tears multiple times as I felt of God’s love and the truthfulness of the gospel.

I know how hard it can be to prioritize time for our spirituality amongst all the other wonderful things in our lives. But I also know how much it has blessed my life to make my testimony more of a priority in the last two weeks and I can’t wait to continue with this onward and upward progression.

If you’re struggling right now, just know that you’re not alone. If you know you need to make a change but you just don’t want to do the work, (I feel you!!) ask Heavenly Father for a desire to change and He will bless you with that desire. You’ll be happier and have more peace in your life as a result!  

Here's the podcast episode I referred to at the beginning of this post if you'd like to listen. I highly encourage it! Such an uplifting and inspiring message!


If you want to learn more about what I believe, send me a message! I'd love to share more and answer any questions you may have! 

xoxo, Chelan

No comments :

Post a Comment