Thursday, August 15, 2019

Currently Reading: Everything I've Read So Far in 2019

I've talked a lot about books recently on Instagram and I wanted to share all of the books I've loved this year - and maybe a few I haven't loved so much - in a blog post so its all in one place for a quick read rather than a bunch of IG videos to click through.

First things first, if we aren't friends on goodreads or if you don't have an account, it's free and so fun! Click here to go to my profile to see what books I love and create an account if you don't already have one.

I'll share books in two catagories: "Don't Waste Your Time" vs "Worth The Read". Also, please note that I really don't like sharing negative opinions about books (or anything for that matter) because I understand that people put in so much time and effort to create it but I'm simply sharing my opinion and I wish I had spent my time reading something else that I would have enjoyed more.

Don't Waste Your Time:

The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton - this kills me because I LOVE Kate Morton but this was one of her weaker books. It was still better than The Distant Hours which is saying something. I would read her other books like The Lake House, House at Riverton, or The Secret Keeper if you want to give Kate Morton a try! She really is such a great writer, this book just missed the mark, in my opinion.


Every Breath by Nicholas Sparks - This book was okay. Not one of his best. I feel like the last few books since his divorce have been lacking..... coincidence? Probably not. I'm still a big Sparks fan, though!

At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks - This is the sequel to the True Believer book in the "Worth The Read" section. I enjoyed the first book but this sequel was painful. It was slow, had a bunch of random storylines and then it ended with something totally unrelated to everything else that happened in the book.

A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult - I felt like I was reading a pamphlet on abortions and why people are pro-choice while reading this book. It was also written backward with the main event happening first, then going back in time with each chapter which I didn't like. There were also SO many characters and it was super hard to follow who was who and I just didn't like this one at all.

The Rent Collector by Camron Wright - I randomly picked this one up from the bookshelf in the house we stayed in during our Bald Head Island trip and although this book was good, it was forgettable. I honestly don't remember hating it or loving it so it was just kind of meh.

When Life Gives You Lululemons by Lauren Weisberger - I read this simply for the title. I thought the title was so clever and it sounded like a juicy book similar to a trashy reality tv show I would enjoy but I hated this book. So much of the content was morally wrong to me, it had a lot of alcohol, language, and infidelity. The characters weren't loveable at all and it was just messy. I don't recommend this one but I know so many people have loved it so maybe you will too? It simply wasn't my cup of tea.

WORTH THE READ:

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult - This is my new favorite book possibly of all time. I love books about WWII and this one did not disappoint! It was so well written with multiple stories happening at once and somehow all intertwining with a twist at the end. Ugh. SO GOOD!

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis - There were things I enjoyed about this book and things I didn't. I listened to the audiobook and loved hearing about Rachel's experiences and how she got to where she is today. Overall, I liked this one!

We Were The Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter - This book was heartbreakingly beautiful. It's set during WWII and follows a family's experience throughout the war and you can't help but root for them to survive and reunite. I cried several times while reading this one. #familyiseverything

These Is My Words by Nancy Turner - I LOVE THIS BOOK! I feel like this is one of the most recommended books in the FB groups I'm in when people ask for recommendations. I got it as a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law and loved every second of reading about Sarah Prine's life! It's written in journal format which was new for me but Sarah was so funny and relatable. You know I'm all about documenting so I appreciated this story and the inspiration it gave me to continue with documenting my own life!

True Believer by Nicholas Sparks - I enjoyed this book. It wasn't your typical Nicholas Sparks novel so that threw me off a little bit but I ended up liking that it was different from his other books. I liked the characters and I loved the quaint little town that the story took place in. Give me a little romance in a cute little town and you've won me over haha!

The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand - One of my friends recommended an IG account dedicated to books called @meagansbookclub and this was one of the novels she was recommending in her stories when I started following her so when I found it in the Lucky Day Collection of my local library I knew I wanted to try it. It was a really good beach read as it takes place in Nantucket (also fun to read a book in a setting nearby!) and I liked the 'whodunit' aspect. I wished there was a bit more resolution at the end but overall I enjoyed this book and I'm excited to give Elin Hilderbrand's other books a try.

Lost Roses by Martha Hall Kelly - First off, I liked the first book (The Lilac Girls) better than this one, however, I did enjoy this novel. This is more like a prequel as it features the mother of one of the ladies in The Lilac Girls and this mother's experience during WWI along with two other women. If you consider yourself at all a feminist or enjoy books about strong women, you'll love this one!

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris - I loved this story. Another WWII novel that was about an incredible story of survival and perseverance with a little bit of romance involved, too! I didn't think the writing was all that spectacular but it made for a quick read and the story itself was amazing. I highly recommend this one!
Notice my shirt lol.

That's all folks! I'm still in the middle of reading Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline and I've been enjoying it so far. If you have any book recommendations for me based on what I've enjoyed this year, let me know! I'm always looking for books to add to my list. What are you currently reading?

xoxo, Chelan

No comments :

Post a Comment