Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Airbnb Round 3!

If you've been following our dramatic saga of Airbnb mishaps, you already know that we were kicked out of our first reservation days before Hurricane Florence hit the Carolinas. It was all super dramatic and unnecessary but it happened, nonetheless. You also know that we fled to Ohio to spend the weekend with family and that was a treat, as always. What you may have missed is that when we got back to NC and settled into our new Airbnb for the week, we got to stay there just one night before we were kicked out again! Why? Because it flooded... Queue the worst Monday ever.


When we left our Airbnb in the morning it was still raining but the house was dry. We ran into a few washed out roads and had to navigate around them to get to the clinic. After dropping Parker off at about 8 AM, I had a couple of errands to run before I headed home. Whilst running errands (and going to 4 different stores to find what I needed bc everything was sooooo picked over in preparation for the storm) I had a mishap with Aunt Flo that I will spare you the details of but I will say that I was highly emotional and it was not the best way to start out my day. Once that was taken care of and I finally found what I was looking for all over the Triangle, I headed back to the Airbnb at about 9:30 AM. It had stopped raining and the sun was starting to shine through the clouds so it looked like my day was going to turn around, right? Wrong.

I opened the door to our room and noticed that the carpet was a little splotchy and it hadn't been before. I took my first step into the room and *squish*. Water. Everywhere. All of our suitcases were on the floor and open so the tops and bottoms were wet. No one else was home. Parker wasn't answering his phone because he was in the clinic. I was panicked! Not to mention that Aunt Flo makes me a crazy person. I Facetimed my dad because what else do you do in a crisis? But he was on his way to work, not to mention in Canada so he couldn't do much to help me other than to tell me that it would be alright (which really was very helpful, by the way. Thanks, Dad!).

Luckily, the lady we were staying with actually was home and she happened to wake up shortly after that so I let her know about what was happening. She was MUCH more helpful and apologetic than the last Airbnb owner which was a nice change. She offered to put us up in a hotel or help us find a new Airbnb. We ended up simply getting a refund from her and then I packed up our stuff again and headed to the library to find us a new place to stay.

I'm happy to report that we have spent two nights, incident free, at our new place and it is warm AND DRY! The owner is nice, this place is beautiful, and I am ready to move on to the next rotation.


Someone shared this quote on their Instagram story recently and it was exactly what I needed to hear. Monday morning I had a moment where I thought, “I don’t know how much more of this I can take,” as I sat there and cried. Lots of bad things have happened in the last month. But lots of good things have happened, too, and I’m trying my hardest to focus on those good things otherwise I’ll surely lose my mind. What’s something happy that has happened to you recently? I need some happy news!

And a huge thank you to all of you who have prayed for us and offered to help in some way when we were nervous about the hurricane turned bad rainstorm. It's been a beautiful reminder of all of the amazing people in our lives and we are oh so grateful. 

xoxo, Chelan

1 comment :

  1. I'm so sorry you had yet another AirBnB didaster, though at least this one seems to have been with a much kinder/more helpful/compassionate owner. Glad you're all settled in at the new one - & may your next spot be much drier!

    ReplyDelete