Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Our Love Story: Part 13

"Here's the thing about this love story of ours. It's long. And drawn out. And mushy-gushy. And even a bit cheesy. But it's true. And I've decided to take my time writing it, capturing all the special details of those moments I never want to forget. So if mushy-gushy, cheesy love stories aren't your thing, I totally get that. Just know that I'm writing this as a gift - to my family, and my children, and their future children - and also, for [Parker] and me - so that on those days when the kids are screaming, the laundry is overflowing and the bills are rolling in...on those days when it all just seems so hard, we'll have this to remind us of those first moments when we fell in love. And if sappy, detail ridden love stories are your thing, well then you've come to the right place." -Ashley Stock

To read the beginning of Our Love Story, click here
***
***

July 2011

***

I was on my way to work one day the summer after my first semester at BYU. I was living in Cardston and for some reason, I was walking to work (this is the only time I ever walked to work which is why I remember it so clearly I think) at the tourist center downtown. I was walking down Powerhouse Hill just passed the high school when I got the text on my flip phone (that makes me sound so old). It was a text from Parker saying that he was coming to visit me. His parents had bought him tickets for his birthday to fly out to see me before he left on his mission and I was SO EXCITED! I remember my eyes welling up with tears and willing myself not to cry and I also remember smiling the entire day afterward. I would just catch myself grinning from ear to ear with excitement!


So Parker came to visit me at the beginning of July and we had the most fun time. We went four wheeling, to Waterton and 'hiked' Bears Hump (but really we got 1/4 of the way up and then decided 'uh bettah not' and got ice cream instead), we went on a date or two to Lethbridge, I made him a sandwich for the first time, he straightened my hair lol, we had dinner at Nana & Pumpa's house, he came to hang out with me at work, etc. We did lots of hanging out and just spending quality time together and it was the best. Matlin cried when he left and so did I. I cried a lot, a lot, a lot.


I used to LOVE this picture lol still do but I can't get over how blurry it is! I remember thinking it was some high-quality photography lol. 

Anyway, we had such a fun time when Parker came to visit. I think it was about 10 days and getting to spend that extra time together before he left on his mission meant so much to me. 

After Parker left we Skyped a few more times and then we had to say goodbye for real. That was really hard. I remember shutting the computer and just crying hard for like an hour straight. Then I broke our my writing stuff and started writing him the first letter. 

I also remember that when Parker got to Utah before he went into the MTC, he got to say goodbye to Tessa and some other friends and she texted me (possibly called me, too? How the heck is my memory so stinking bad???) so we got to chat through her for a little bit, too! 

He entered the MTC on July 20, 2011. And so began the letter writing and emails for the next two years. 

***

No comments :

Post a Comment