Tuesday, December 19, 2017

And above all else, be kind.

My heart is a little bit broken this morning and I'm not sure how to convey my thoughts adequately to express what I'm feeling but I'm hopeful that it will come across alright.

Image via Pinterest


I work in customer service. I chose to have the job that I do and I do love my job very, very much. One of my favorite things about my job is that I get to help people document their lives. If you know me, you know that I am super passionate about documenting life and it's so fun for me to be able to help people do that on a daily basis. Another thing I love about my job is that they give us as employees the opportunity and power to make things right if a customer is unhappy. We have an amazing customer happiness guarantee and we are willing to do what it takes to make our customers happy because they truly matter to us as a support team and to the company. However, this year, during this Christmas season, I'm sad to say that my job has broken my heart a little bit.

I have come across far too many rude, hurtful, and downright mean people. I've woken up to nasty email after nasty email and after a little while, it begins to take its toll on you. Now, I realize that I asked for this job. I realize that it's a customer support position so part of the job is listening to people complain. I realize that they aren't mad at me specifically, they are just frustrated about the situation. I also realize that people often respond to customer service in the moment, and it's easier to be mean via text/email than it is face to face or over the phone. I realize that sometimes bad things happen in people's lives and that makes them bitter.

But I also know that no one has the right to be mean. No matter what has happened in your life or how bad your day is going, you do not have the right to be mean to another person or treat other people badly. I don't care what has happened to you, it is not ok. You would think that this is the most wonderful time of the year it being Christmas and all, and people are generally happier and more cheerful but this year, I feel really sad for the world we live in. I'm sad that we've gotten to a point where people feel so entitled and that customer service is expected to be bad. That happy and cheerful Christmas spirit has been dampened a little bit for me and that makes me really sad.

Today's #lighttheworld prompt is to brighten someone else's day so I'm going to do my very best to get past this sad feeling and weight on my chest. I'm going to brush away my tears and try my very best to be kind, above all else.

Please, if you are in contact with customer service of any kind at any time of the year but especially this time of year, be kind. Know that they are real people with real feelings. Especially if you are in contact with Chatbooks customer service, please know that we do care. SO MUCH! And that we want you as a customer to be happy and we'll do whatever we can to make that happen. Chatbooks itself aside, please know that if something you ordered for Christmas doesn't arrive in time or it comes damaged or something else happens and your order isn't correct, it's not going to ruin Christmas because isn't Christmas supposed to be about something other than gifts in the first place??!!!!! Oh ya. It's Christ. Christmas is about the gift and birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

So let's go forward with kindness today (and every day). Realize that the things you say and do can affect other people. Let's be obsessively kind! The world needs more kindness in it!

Image via Pinterest

xoxo, Chelan

P.S. if you share this, you are my favorite person and you'll probably spare at least one customer service rep from a nasty email today. So be kind and share this for me and all the other customer service people out there, would ya? ;)

No comments :

Post a Comment