Saturday, February 23, 2019

Life Lately

A couple of weeks ago at church, the women in our ward were having a lesson/discussion on going through trials and hard things and what we can do to help combat feelings of doubt and I had the distinct impression that I needed to do better at writing things down. Y'all know that I'm passionate about documenting my life but I'm notorious for doing so in spurts. So I wanted to do a little life update because there are a lot of really fun things going on for Parker and me right now that I don't want to forget. And perhaps, when I'm going through something hard in the future, I can look back at posts like this and know that God's hand is in the details of my life - the good and the bad. He's always there to lift me up when I am feeling down and to celebrate all my victories big or small.

The only photo we got on our weekend trip last week to Snowshoe, WV.

Parker submitted his rank list for residency this week!!! What's that? When you finish medical school, the next step is residency. During the 4th year of medical school, you apply to residency programs in the specialty of your choice (dermatology, family medicine, emergency medicine, surgery, etc) and then get interview invitations from programs that like your application. So in addition to traveling for rotations this year, Parker also traveled around a lot for interviews. Then you rank the programs you interviewed at and the programs rank the applicants that they interviewed. Then an algorithm does its thing and matches applicants to residency programs. Here's a video that explains how the match works if you're interested. I actually found it super helpful because this whole process has been a bit overwhelming. The deadline for rank list submissions was this week and we feel very good about our list and also super relieved that that part is over. And now we wait! Match day is in March and we can't wait to find out what's in store for the next four years!

I'm currently working for Chipotle corporate doing customer service. When we were in North Carolina for a rotation this summer, I lost my job with Chatbooks. More on that here if you missed it. We were about to head to Denver and I desperately needed a job so I started frantically applying to anything and everything. The same day I applied to a random temporary customer support job listing, I got an email asking to interview me via Facetime for a job with Chipotle (which the job listing hadn't said anything about). Long story short, I got the job on the Friday that I applied for it and started the next Monday morning in Denver at their corporate office. When I tried to quit because we were moving onto our next rotation in South Carolina, they asked me to continue working but offered me the option of working from home which was the greatest surprise. My contract kept getting extended and now it goes through the end of March. It has truly been such a continual blessing and I'm so grateful to have a good job!! I've been able to work more than I could with Chatbooks and the pay is better so it all worked out in the end.

Parker and I have been working really hard at our goals for 2019. We created a budget and are doing really well at sticking to it. I've been a champ at meal planning and cooking lately and Parker has been a huge help with that as well since I've been working so much. We make a pretty good team if we do say so ourselves. We've also been going to the gym consistently since we've been back in Ohio and we are doing our best to get back into shape after taking too much time off. It feels good to take better care of our bodies!

We have some really fun things planned after Parker is finished with his last rotation mid April - some awesome trips with family and friends and I can't wait to share more about those soon. Gotta get those last chance travels in before residency starts and he has a real job with limited time off. First up is Utah & Las Vegas for Spring Break with family and we cannot wait!

Grateful for this crazy yet exciting time in our lives. God really is in the details.

xoxo, Chelan

No comments :

Post a Comment