Monday, October 14, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving 2019

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! If you have no idea why I am celebrating Thanksgiving today, then you must be American... Today is Thanksgiving Day in Canada and since I am a born and raised Canadian girl, I get to celebrate both Canadian and American Thanksgiving. Who wouldn't want two Thanksgiving holidays a year?!

Unfortunately, Parker and I are both working today and his shift starts just before mine ends so aside from about 20 minutes this morning, we won't see each other today. I wish we were able to have the day off and if we did, I would have attempted a small scale Thanksgiving dinner for us. But being apart today just makes me a bit more grateful for the time we have together.

One of the things I get asked a lot around this time of year by Americans is what is Canadian Thanksgiving all about? Well, let me share with you what good old Wikipedia has to say on the subject:


"Canadian Thanksgiving Day occurs on the second Monday in October, which celebrates the harvest and other blessings of the past year. Thanksgiving has been officially celebrated as an annual holiday in Canada since November 6, 1879. While the date varied by year and was not fixed, it was commonly the third Monday in October. On January 31, 1957, the Governor-General of Canada Vincent Massey issued a proclamation stating: "A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed – to be observed on the second Monday in October.""

While I try to count my blessings each day, I love that I get to celebrate an actual Thanksgiving holiday twice a year, giving me an opportunity to really reflect on the many, many things I have to be grateful for. I am so blessed!

Always and forever grateful for this guy and our families. Life is better because of the amazing people I get to call mine!

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all! I hope it's full of family time and good food <3. 

xoxo, Chelan

2 comments :