Monday, August 9, 2021

Goals: How to Set Realistic Ones and Actually Achieve Them!

Hello! It's been forever since I posted! Between being straight-up busy as a mom and a wife, I've had conflicted feelings about blogging since my daughter was born. The dream I once had of doing this for money is almost dead (there's still a glimmer every now and then haha) and I hate to be a Debbie Downer but the internet is not a safe place - especially for photos of children. With my blog being a public platform, I feel an intense need to protect my family from any creeps surfing the web who might happen upon my site. While I wish I could share all of the cute photos I have of my baby girl (because you know there are thousands even though she's only a year old), my mama bear instincts rule supreme here and that's okay! I'll save those for our family scrapbooks! 


While I don't feel particularly safe sharing photos of my child on my blog anymore, I still feel comfortable sharing the random musings of my mind haha. And since I am officially in the last year of my 20s as of last week, my current musings are all about goals and what I want this next year of my life to look like. 

In 2021 I wanted to get serious about setting goals that are attainable, realistic, and not overbearing. I decided yearly resolutions were not for me, and that I would attempt doing quarterly goals that consist of monthly action plans. To set myself up for success I have a group of friends I check in with each month, I've made a mental note to give myself grace, and I write my goals down along with any notes that I think will help me achieve said goals. Perhaps the most helpful part of this process, though, has been focusing on and writing down my "why" I want to accomplish these goals. What's the point? Then each month when I check in with myself and my friends, if I need to make any changes, I do! My system worked really, really well for the first quarter of the year and it helped me jump back on the goal train after vacations which I've never done well before. But May, June, and July were nuts with traveling, hosting family and friends, and just life in general - so nuts in the best way possible! Now that it's August and I'm feeling inspired, I'm going to share some of the goals that I've set for the rest of this quarter. 


Personal

One thing that I've loved this year is making personal, kind of fun goals. That way when I'm not feeling particularly productive in other ways like cleaning or exercising, I can still work toward a goal, just in a different way.

+ Finish the day with reading rather than screen time. 

+ Scrapbook 4 pages per month.

+ Write in my journal twice a month. 

+ Do a nightly routine: brush and floss, wash face, moisturize, take vitamins, wash hair if need be, etc. 


Financial 

I tend to bury my head in the sand when it comes to budgeting and keeping track of our spending. I hate it. It makes me uncomfortable and anxious. And Parker is so good at it and always makes sure we are on track so I know I really don't have to worry. 

+ My main goal is to simply get over my budgeting anxiety! I will do this by being more aware of our finances, paying attention to where our money is going, what's coming in, help with paying bills, save where I can, but also not get stressed out every time I see the numbers on the bills haha. 


Physical 

When I take care of myself physically I am a better person all around. A better wife, mom, friend, daughter, etc. The world is a better place when I make my physical health a priority. My "why" for this one is because I want to be able to keep up with Charli and do fun things with her always. I also want to model healthy habits and behaviors for her. If I'm lucky enough to get pregnant again someday, I would also like to be in a healthier place prior to that so I can keep up healthy habits throughout pregnancy because my pregnancy with Charli was not a super healthy one. Whoops! 

+ Do high fitness 3 times a week. 

+ Do a 5K every week whether that's a walk, a run, a hike, etc. 

+ Drink 64 ounces of water a day before any pop. 

+ Eat all things in moderation. A little less carbs, a little more protein, a lot more veggies :). 


Spiritual 

This is my most important goal every month, every quarter, and I've especially been feeling a pull toward this area of my life for this coming year. My ultimate goal this year is to grow closer to and be more like my Saviour, Jesus Christ. I have felt overwhelming inspiration lately that this is where my focus needs to be. I know from experience that, like my physical goals, when I make my spiritual goals a priority, I'm a better person. 

+ More love, less judgment. 

+ More time spent in prayer and scripture study. 

+ Share my testimony more - in my home, in church, with family and friends, on my blog, etc. 

+ Make my house a home where the spirit can be felt always. In my scripture study this morning I read a quote from President Russel M. Nelson that said, "I promise that as you diligently work to remodel your home into a center of gospel learning, ... the influence of the adversary in your life and in your home will decrease." I want that! I want to be able to feel safe in my home, like it's truly a haven from the world and a place we want to be because it feels different and good. 

 

What are some goals you're crushing lately?! Thanks for inspiring me and helping me achieve mine :). 

xoxo, Chelan

No comments :

Post a Comment