Thursday, June 30, 2016

My Testimony of Callings

On a Wednesday last fall, I said a prayer to Heavenly Father that I would be able to find a way of studying the Book of Mormon that really worked for me. I felt like I had been totally lacking in this area - I am pretty good at reading the Book of Mormon every day, but studying has always been difficult for me - so I went to Heavenly Father in search of a method of studying the scriptures that would help me to learn more about the Book of Mormon.

The following Sunday, I was called in to meet with a member of the bishopric between 2nd and 3rd hour. After some small talk, the calling of Gospel Doctrine teacher for the adults was extended to me, and honestly, I was livid. I had high hopes of being put into Primary, Nursery, or Young Women's as this was our first time in a family ward since being married and that seems like the typical thing for a newly married, young couple. I quietly accepted the calling and walked back into the relief society room where I sat down at the back of the room away from anyone else. I put my head down while trying my hardest not to break down.This was my worst nightmare of callings, you guys. I felt so inadequate and so scared. When Parker and I got in the car to go home after church, I'm pretty sure I yelled at him as I started to cry because I didn't know what else to do at that point. When we got home, I laid on the bed and cried for a good hour, if not longer.

This was the first time in my life that I had actually been mad at God.. I was so mad at Him for 'doing' this to me (even though I had totally asked for it only days before). I was especially upset because I felt like I was in a rough spot in my life because I hadn't made any friends yet having just moved to a new place, and I hadn't found a job yet, either, so I was angry that Heavenly Father would make my life even more miserable by giving me this 'terrible' calling. Sidenote: my life really wasn't miserable. Every trial seems harder when you are in the thick of it, I think.



After having served as the gospel doctrine teacher for the last 8 months, I can tell you that 
I know that callings truly do come from God. He qualifies those He calls. If you ask for His help, He will gladly give it, plus some! I feel like I still don't know much about the Book of Mormon, there is always more to learn, but I have gained such a greater appreciation for the scriptures and the gospel in general than I had before. 

With all of this being said, I have recently been thrown another curveball calling-wise being called as the Young Women's President in the Rootstown ward. I feel like having had this experience as the gospel doctrine teacher, I am better prepared to serve the Young Women and God via this calling. I'm not nearly as scared (stilll scared, but not as badly haha) because I know that Heavenly Father will be there with me every step of the way! He will help me to do what I need to do to help these girls and to be the leader and friend that He and they need me to be.

You guys, the gospel is true! I know it and I feel it so strongly! If you read the Book of Mormon and ask God in sincerity if it is true, I promise you that He will confirm the truth of it to you.

To learn more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, click here! To get your own free copy of the Book of Mormon, click here

2 comments :

  1. Ok, Gospel Doctrine is totally my nightmare too. You are amazing, Chelan! The Lord really does look out for us and wants us to succeed. You are going to be the best YW President! Those girls are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It was so scary but it turned out to be such a blessing! It was exactly what I needed and I really did end up loving it in the end. Thank you so, so much for your comment, Kayla! You are seriously the sweetest! I hope you guys are doing well!!!

      Delete